– Musiliu Obanikoro, a former minister of state for defence, submitted himself to the anti-graft agents upon his arrival to Nigeria
– Obanikoro, who has been in the United States, is being accused of corruption and using his children to corner contracts
Musiliu Obanikoro, a former minister of state for defence under former President Goodluck Jonathan, is to remain in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) till Tuesday, October 18, 2016.
This was disclosed by his lawyer, James Onoja.
Obanikoro had been grilled by the anti-graft agency upon his arrival from the United States, where he had been for months. He is accused of corruption while in office.
Premium Times quotes Onoja, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), as saying Obanikoro had written his statement and explained what he knows about the allegation against him.
“He submitted himself to them upon returning to the country this morning. Unfortunately, he won’t be out again today,” Onoja said, adding: “He told them all he knew in his statement, so we hope he’ll be released tomorrow.”
He also gave the impression that if the former minister was not released, then he would “do the needful” by resorting to the courts.
Obanikoro had been declared wanted by the EFCC in relation to his role in the alleged financial scandal that rocked the Ekiti state governorship election won by Ayodele Fayose.
He is also accused of using his sons, Gbolahan and Jide, to corner government contracts worth about N4.7 billion that were never executed.
Spokesperson of the EFCC could not confirm if the former minister would be spending the night at the EFCC facility.